Friday, July 6, 2012

Photoshop Friday

Okay, so the big news isn't being revealed yet. I want to wait until it's officially official. But, after being made aware that the phrase "still feeling the effects of some really great news I received recently" from the last post sounded…misleading…I will tell you this:

No, I'm not pregnant.

Good. I'm glad we cleared that up.

In other news, I've had a lot of time on my hands due to the whole no Internet, no TV thing. So to occupy my time at home while Tony studies away, I've been dreaming up some room makeovers. The most thought out makeover has been in the master bedroom. Now, admittedly, I'm not the best with Photoshop. And because I've admitted that, you can't make fun of my editing skillz.

I've been trying to put together a design plan for the master for about two years now. This is the most comprehensive design plan I've come up with, yet I'm still not satisfied. So that's where you come in. If you have any suggestions, please! Suggest away!

(Again, please excuse the photo sizes. They look great on my phone, but I have no idea what they look like in a real browser.)

Here are the befores:





(We don't have flooring in yet, but don't worry. The hardwoods are being installed sometime this month,)

And here are two after options - same decor, just difference paint:

Navy:





Grey:





I'm pretty set that I want gold/mustard/yellow to be the accent color. I also really am liking the idea right now of a dark paint. So cozy and sleep inducing.

So here are the dilemmas:

1) Navy or Grey? Now, please keep in mind that when this picture was taken I only had one light bulb - there is no overhead lighting - and it was almost dusk, so the room is really, REALLY dark in the photo in the first place. The room won't be that dark in real life because there would be at least three lamps, so don't let the walls fool you into thinking a dark paint makes the room literally this dark. Remember. Photoshop skills grade: needs improvement.

2) What the heck do I put on that far, interior wall? It obviously needs something, but I don't want it to compete with the deer head (I've lightened it in the photo so you can see it better). I've been lusting over that cardboard wonder for years now and finally found it on super sale (you're the best, Fab!), so it is definitely staying put. So what goes there? A mirror? A piece of art? A photo? WHAT?

3) Does the bed need a throw pillow? I've struggled with this for a while. I like the minimalist, modern bed look, which is why we got a platform bed. But every platform bed I've seen styled just has the two pillows. It looks kind of weird with a third wheel, but it also defiantly looks like it's missing something. Any thoughts?

Here's a breakdown of the decor:

1) Kartell Louis Ghost Chair
--Definitely purchasing the real thing once I can justify spending $400 on a chair. Not sure when that will be…ps it's on sale right now over at AllModern...

2) Gold-tone chevron throw pillow
--Just found this image online, don't know the source but definitely want a chevron and/or ikat throw.

3) Ikea Sheepskin Rug
--Pretty sure this Ikea rug is faux. You can't beat the price, but I really would like the real deal. A lot of places sell them so I might initially go Ikea while bargain hunting for better quality (NuLoom is the dream).

4) Antique brass floor lamp
--Treasure hunting for something similar at local second-hand and vintage shops

5) West Elm Tree Stump Side Table
--Definitely want a stump side table, but why buy one online when your fiancé has plans to chop down relatives' trees for firewood this winter? I've already requested he bring home a stump.

6) West Elm Favorite Throw in Dandelion
--Now, let me just tell you how I've been looking for a soft throw, in this color, for a decent price, for….years. And finally I see it on West Elm for about $30 bucks. Yes! However, I can't really purchase much outside of gas and groceries right now, so I thought I'd wait. It's called the Favorite Throw, so it's got to be a staple, right? WRONG. They just had a pillow/throw sale - 20% off - and as soon as I realized it, Dandelion was already sold out. Perfect. So on the hunt again…

7) Cardboard Safari's Bucky Deer
--As much as I love this piece, I could not justify spending $55 on a sheet of cardboard. Beautiful, laser-cut cardboard, but still. Cardboard. But thanks to my favorite sale site and a few credits, I swiped it for just over $10.

8) Marconi Bulbs
--You can't tell in the picture, but this is what they actually look like. Right now, the base of the light is that dark iron-like material that every single piece of decor in Hobby Lobby is made out of - you know what I'm talking about. So I'm thinking of spraying them gold. I only had one set up at the time I took the photo, but there is one on the other side of the bed. Why wasn't I more prepared when taking this photo, you ask? Why do you ask so many questions?

9) Ladder
--So we have a ladder exactly like this in our backyard, only it's about two stories tall. So, if we get the okay from the landlord, I want to cut it down to size and stick it in our bedroom. In this photo towels are hung on it, but i have a few blankets I plan to hang instead.

Phew! Congratulations to you if you made it through that entire post! This is definitely going to be a work in progress, but I hope it turns out. Seriously. Suggestions welcome.

And lastly. The olympics begin three weeks from today. There are very few things in this world that I love more than the olympics, especially the summer olympics. There is no way on this Earth that I will be without TV in three weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment