Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Happy Birthday, Mr. Washington

Ahhh, who doesn't love a good three-day weekend? And what can beat a three-day weekend that's filled with good food, good drinks and good company? Well, nothing. Nothing beats that. And that was exactly what my weekend was filled with. Thanks to our friends Tom and Lexi, our little weekend getaway to Kansas City was one of the most relaxing and most fun times I've had in a long while.

Weekend Recap:
-- Art gallery openings that turned into late night after parties of Boulevard and impromptu "Lean on Me" renditions at the Dolphin Gallery.
-- Brunch at Genessee Royale Bistro in the awesomely historic West Bottoms (I had the Croque Madame).
-- My first trip to H&M! Sadly, I left with nothing, but the BF picked up a few cute sweaters. Still a win.
-- Lunch at Wesport Cafe, which consisted of trying mussels for the first time (delicious), an Ahi tuna salad and a couple of mimosas to top it all off. Perfection.
-- A trip to the grocery store that led to an appetizer dinner. Items on the menu included baguette with garlic olive oil and balsamic dip, meat and cheese plate, shrimp cocktail, blueberries, homemade vichyssoise with soft boiled egg, macaroons made from scratch and of course, two Bota Boxes of red wine.
-- Seeing my old (meaning past, not age) ballet teacher perform the lead role in Romeo and Juliet at the brand new Kauffman Center for Performing Arts (or should I say space ship?) shortly after announcing her retirement.
-- A great night's sleep followed by my first (and certainly not last) experience with Pho. Absolutely the best meal of the trip, which says a lot since we ate like kings.

I wish I would have taken more pictures to document this trip. I did not think about it at the time, and now I regret it. Here are a few photos Tony took that at least that capture some of the highlights (*ahem PHO*):

One: Tom at the Dolphin | Two: Me making a weird face mid appetizer feast
Three: View from the top level of the PAC | Four: PAC - Ready for Lift Off | Five: Pho KC
Six: Pho veggies to put in... | Seven: ...the epic Pho bowl


If you've never tried Pho, I HIGHLY recommend it. Take the lightest, most refreshing meal you've ever had and slop that in with the most filling and comforting meal your mom's ever made you and BAM! You've got yourself some Pho.

Good Food. Good Drinks. Good Friends. That's all I want out of life. Thank you, George Washington, for making this weekend possible. And for doin' all that other America stuff.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really glad you guys came up. SOOOO happy that Pho KC got a shoutout.

    ReplyDelete